Musculoskeletal injuries continue to be the most prevalent cause of discomfort and lost time experienced by healthcare workers. Such injuries can be costly, and can negatively impact employee recruitment and retention. More importantly, the lack of an effective employee safety program can also be a detriment to patient safety.
Through our extensive experience, Atlas provides the solutions you need to protect your employees, patients, and operations. We work within healthcare facilities across the country to help improve worker readiness, optimize safety and productivity, and realize significant cost savings through a comprehensive approach to injury prevention and worker well-being.
We start with a customized approach
Safe patient handling and other job tasks come with their own set of physical requirements—which is why Atlas has built a unique healthcare-specific approach to include the broadest suite of solutions available, customized by client and site.
We help you hire more effectively
Physically demanding jobs and high turnover can lead to employees reporting injuries shortly after hire. Atlas helps you understand the physical requirements of your jobs, but more importantly, ensures job applicants can safely complete the essential functions of the job they are applying for before you hire them. Best of all, we do so in a proven, legally complaint way.
- Job Demands Analysis: Our analysis ensures your company has the necessary data to support ADA-compliant job descriptions, accommodation requests, return-to-work analysis, and to support physical ability screen programs (post-offer and return-to-work).
- Post-offer Pre-employment Physical Ability Screens: Our screening process ensures job applicants can safely complete the essential functions of the job before they are hired.
We help you avoid injuries
Employee Care - We provide care when an injury or discomfort occurs, which is critical to mitigating injury rates, controlling a claim, and reducing lost time. Often, employees seek treatment in local emergency rooms or clinics because they don't know where else to go. We provide personalized care that can often be effective without the need for outside medical treatment and its related costs.
- 24/7 Telephone Nurse Triage: Telephonic care is provided for all injury types through our partnership with TriageNow. Uniquely, we can link this service to our early intervention specialists to address musculoskeletal symptoms and their root causes more effectively than simply sending an employee to Urgent Care or an Emergency Room.
- Early Intervention Services: These services address musculoskeletal discomfort and injuries through OSHA-allowable first-aid measures and job-site coaching. Services can be provided onsite (full- or part-time) or performed at a local clinic (as needed).
- Atlas Soft Tissue Management (STM™): Any employee experiencing an increased awareness of heaviness, tightness, fatigue, or discomfort can benefit from Atlas STM™. By providing OSHA-allowed deep tissue massage, injury progression is halted or slowed and medical treatment and recordability can be avoided.
Employee Coaching - We educate, promote, and coach for behavioral change. Our onsite team members utilize scientifically validated Behavioral Change Theory to accommodate the realities of the workforce in a nondisruptive approach.
- Stretching: Used to reduce muscle strain, increase blood flow, and help alleviate minor discomfort associated with repetitive motion, forceful activities, or static/awkward postures.
- Jobsite: Used to avoid and prevent the common musculoskeletal conditions or symptoms that workers routinely experience. Injury prevention coaching covers the fundamentals of proper body mechanics and movements.
Ergonomics - Atlas knows how to recognize, evaluate, and control workplace hazards that contribute to musculoskeletal injuries. Ergonomic programs identify and reduce risk factors, prevent injuries, and save companies money by increasing efficiency and allowing workers to work more productively without pain.
- Risk Assessment: Safe patient movement and handling risk is a primary concern for many healthcare facilities. Atlas starts by evaluating your risk from multiple angles, including incident history, employee discomfort and methods, unit/department needs and challenges, and organization competency and culture.
- Solution Development: Your risk assessment is just the beginning. Atlas uses our findings to create a comprehensive report that gives you a roadmap for your investment strategy or suggestions for a pilot program.
We reduce the cost of injuries
No injury prevention solution or program is perfect, and injuries will occur. When they do, Atlas provides a variety of solutions to minimize cost and risk, and make sure your employees are provided convenient high-quality care.
- Return-to-work Physical Ability Screens: We ensure an employee can safely complete the essential functions of their job after a medical release.
We provide 24/7 nationwide support
No matter where you work, Atlas is there. We have partnered with a select group of the best professionals across the country. Chances are there’s an Atlas professional in your community. It’s our commitment to keeping your people injury-free and your business on track.
Contact us today to learn more about our healthcare industry injury prevention solutions.