Blood Pressure Awareness
The number of Americans at risk for heart attacks and strokes just got a lot higher. An estimated 103 million U.S. adults have high blood pressure, according to new statistics from the American Heart Association. That’s nearly half of all adults in the United States.
Why is controlling your high blood pressure important? High blood pressure can harm your blood vessels before you know it. If the blood vessels are damaged, this can lead to a heart attack, stroke, or kidney disease.
The Facts about High Blood Pressure or Hypertension:
- A person with high blood pressure is almost 6 times more likely to have a stroke.
- The combination of uncontrolled high blood pressure and diabetes wreaks havoc on all organ systems.
- African Americans are more susceptible to high blood pressure, stroke, heart disease, and kidney disease.
- Diet and exercise are the best ways to control blood pressure. However, some individuals may need additional help with one or more medications.
Management Tips for Hypertension:
- Adopt healthy nutritional habits
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Exercise regularly
- Stop smoking
- Limit alcohol consumption
- Take your medicine
- Routine medical care